[warn-news] Reminder - WARN Sponsored Spotter Class - More

Mike Nie mnie at warn.org
Tue Mar 13 11:16:11 EDT 2012

Time is running out!

A lot has happened over the past few weeks.  Some time ago we sent out the
announcement that the WARN sponsored NWS spotter training class will be held
on Friday 3/30/2012.  That date is now rapidly approaching.  Spotter
training opportunities are rapidly dwindling, as time goes by.  Interest in
spotter training has been increased by the recent tornado outbreak in the
Cincinnati area.  REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED THIS YEAR.  We currently have
over 100 people registered for the class on March 30th.  Space is limited,
so if you plan to attend, please register as soon as possible.  Once the
class fills, no further registrations will be accepted.  If the class is
full, no unregistered walk-ins can be admitted.

As a reminder, the class has been moved to a different location.  We have
moved from the Blue Ash office of the American Red Cross to Bethesda North
Hospital.  Thankfully the new location can accommodate more people.  (With
the increased interest this year, we'd already be full at the old location.)
For full information on the class and online registration, please visit
http://www.warn.org/training.  You can find links to maps and directions on
that page.  WARN members or prospective members, we will have a table set up
for membership renewals and new members.  If you are due for renewal, please
stop and see us.

Earlier I mentioned the recent tornado outbreak.  First of all, our thoughts
are with everyone who was affected by this event.  It's why we do what we
do.  Here is a note we received from "the boss" at the Wilmington office of
the National Weather Service:

"Please pass along to all your people that worked yesterday's event that
their help was greatly appreciated and that loss of live could have been
much higher without their help.

Ken Haydu

Meteorologist In Charge"

That goes to our net control operators and all of our spotters who called in
reports during this event (or NOT if they did not see anything meeting
criteria).

I hope you will indulge me for a few more moments.  The tornadoes struck on
Friday afternoon.  As a firefighter with additional training in incident
management, I had the opportunity to go to Moscow, OH for a shift working
with local emergency responders on Monday, three days after the event.  The
Hamilton County Fire Chiefs' mobile command vehicle served as the command
center for several days after the event, coordinating between the local,
state, and non-governmental agencies working in the relief effort.  I was
glad for the opportunity and to do my small part.  The vehicle was located
in the heart of Moscow on the edge of the worst damage.  I am always awed by
what the raw power of Mother Nature can do to things man makes.  I was
impressed by the local responders and how efficiently they were handling the
situation.  The incident commander, Washington Township Fire Chief Art
Owens, and his staff were true professionals.  I have spoken with other
people who have been in similar situations in the past and hear that that no
amount of training truly prepares one for this type of incident when it
occurs in a small community (or a large one).  All responding organizations
and the community came together to deal with a real disaster.  In fact, one
of the problems was coordinating all the responding organizations and
individuals, some of whom arrived unannounced wanting to help.  Remember,
some people will be dealing with this recovery LONG after it is no longer
news.  I'm sure the story is the same in all of the areas that were affected
by the event.

I am sure that this already bad event would have been much worse had it not
been for the good work of the National Weather Service, spotter networks,
and local media in tracking the storms as they approached our area and
warning the public.  The initial possibility of severe weather was mentioned
days before the event.  Then, on Friday, modern technology and trained
spotters left no doubt as to how serious the situation was.  Without a
doubt, many lives were saved by all involved.

Thanks for reading.  And, and now back to the main purpose of this message.
If you are intending to attend the spotter training session on March 30,
please register ASAP.

Mike Nie

Mike Nie - W8VMX

Public Information Officer