[warn-news] Ohio Tornado Drill and Spotter Training this week

Mike Nie mnie at warn.org
Sun Mar 21 18:58:43 EDT 2010

This week is Severe Weather Awareness Week in Ohio.  The Ohio statewide
tornado drill will occur on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 at approximately
9:50am.  Everyone is encouraged to use this event to practice their weather
safety plans.  Businesses and schools should conduct tornado drills as
warning systems are tested.  Amateur Radio Operators should check into their
nets so that the check-ins can be reported to the NWS.  Even hams outside
but near Ohio should feel free to check into the nets.

WARN will be on the air using normal procedures.  This would be a good time
to mention that the normal net frequency is 146.88- and the backup is
147.09+.  During another recent net it was necessary to switch to the backup
frequency due to a problem with the primary repeater system.  We're not sure
whether that problem still exists now, and if so, when it will be repaired.
So, as in all cases, hams should do what we pride ourselves in and remain
flexible.  Always know and be prepared to use contingency plans.

There is also one basic spotter training session in the WARN area this week.
This is the annual WARN session with added content for amateur radio
operators.  Everyone is welcome.

Friday, March 26, 2010

7:00pm

Hamilton County