Rain Rain Go Away!

Michael Nie mnie at fuse.net
Mon Jan 3 21:32:37 EST 2000

On January 3, 2000 WARN spotters were activated by the National Weather
Service at about 3:30PM EST.  The Cincinnati area was under a rare January
tornado watch.  As storms moved through, little in the way of severe
weather
was reported.  But, the rain refused to stop.  The focus quickly turned
from
severe weather to flooding.

As it turned out, the weather spotter nets were active for about 5 1/2
hours.  While the radars were showing heavy rain, only the eyewitness
reports of flooded roadways confirmed that the heavy rains were indeed
causing some problems and how bad they were.  All the numbers are not in,
but we know many people called in reports.  Thanks for your assistance.
Thanks also to Steve Lewis - N8TFD, Bob Kaegi - KB8TPC, and Dave Stuart
KB0SLY for putting in several man/hours relaying important information to
the National Weather Service.

We normally don't expect to be activated at this time of year, but when
the
NWS calls, we will bring up the nets.  Today also proves that our spotters
in the field are also ready.  Of course everyone had charged batteries
since
Y2K had peaked everyone's interest in preparedness.

It shouldn't be too long before we start sending out information on year
2000 spotter training courses.

Mike Nie - KB8VMX
Public Information Officer
Weather Amateur Radio Network.

----
NOTE

If you experience technical problems with this mailing list or
the W.A.R.N. web site, please send e-mail to brad at n8qq.com
along with a description of the problem.

You may unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time by
sending a message to announce-request at warn.org and typing
the word "unsubscribe" in the Subject field.

You may also retrieve a help file for this mailing list at any
time by sending a message to announce-request at warn.org
and typing the word "help" in the Subject field.