Weather Net 7/19-7/20

Michael Nie mnie at fuse.net
Mon Jul 20 23:00:05 EDT 1998

Thanks to everyone that stayed up with us for the weather net last night,
especially the stations from Butler and Hamilton Counties that seemed to
be
hardest hit.  What we saw was the phenomenon where one storm after another
follows the same path.  This can be very dangerous.  With every passing
storm, more heavy rain is dropped.  The worst hit areas received over six
inches of rain over about 5 hours.  If I remember correctly, it was
somewhat
over 10 inches falling in a short time that caused the flooding in
Falmouth
and other communities in 1997.  This was a similar situation.  Of course,
most of you know that.

The first few storms brought high winds and then heavy rain, not to
mention
a brilliant light show.  Later, the winds were not as bad, just more heavy
rain. The National Weather Service used reports relayed by spotters to
issue
severe storm and flood warnings.  We were allowed to stand down after the
storms dropped below severe levels.  It was still raining very hard, but
everyone knew it and keeping the net operating at that point really served
no purpose.  Doppler radar is very good at estimating rainfall amounts.

Thanks to all who called in reports.  In this case the reports of tree
damage were excellent.  Many were exemplary reports, including tree size,
age, condition, and type of damage.  This allows accurate estimation of
storm character.  Obviously a large healthy tree being uprooted is more
cause for concern than a small rotten tree losing a few branches.  Reports
were also received on what direction trees were felled.  Since most seemed
to go the same way, the damage seemed to be from straight line winds.

Many rain reports were also received.  Many were measured reports which
are
more valuable than estimations, because they are more accurate.  They help
to confirm radar based estimations.  Thinking back, the first couple
reports
we heard in the 4 - 5 inch range sounded unbelievable.  Rain that heavy
coming that fast is rare.  But, the reports kept coming.  Then came the
reports of street and stream flooding.  Those reports seemed to confirm
the
rain amounts.

This was a fantastic net with many valuable reports received.  In fact,
we'd
have to look pretty hard to find anything wrong with it.  Even the number
of
reports of lightning have dramatically decreased, which we appreciate,
because they really aren't used to issue warnings.  We would like to ask
that all of our spotters continue to adhere to our published reporting
criteria unless directed otherwise by the net control operator.  As a
reminder, what we are looking for are:

Damaging winds (generally 50 MPH or greater)
Hail 1/2" in size or greater
Wall clouds, funnel clouds, or tornadoes
Flooding (1 foot of water in the street, or any stream out of banks)
Rain 1 inch per hour or greater

The only area I saw with any room for improvement at all was that we kept
receiving reports of power outages which we can't do anything about.  So
please, only report an outage if you see that one of the criteria above
caused the outage.

Again - FANTASTIC JOB!!!

Thanks,

Mike Nie
Public Information Officer
Weather Amateur Radio Network (WARN)

mailto:mnie at fuse.net
http://www.warn.org

----
NOTE

If you experience technical problems with this mailing list or
the W.A.R.N. web site, please send e-mail to brad at n8qq.com
along with a description of the problem.

You may unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time by
sending a message to announce-request at warn.org and typing
the word "unsubscribe" in the Subject field.

You may also retrieve a help file for this mailing list at any
time by sending a message to announce-request at warn.org
and typing the word "help" in the Subject field.