[warn-news] Severe Weather Season's On The Way!

Mike Nie mnie at mikenie.com
Sun Jan 18 21:59:18 EST 2009

Yes, it is cold outside, and the snow is teasing us.  I would like to see at
least one decent snow just to prove it's really winter.

Be that as it may, we're starting to prepare for severe weather season.  If
you haven't done so already, check http://www.weather.gov/iln/training.htm
for the latest list of spotter training classes in the
Cincinnati/Dayton/Columbus/West Union areas.  I know that there are more
spotter classes soon to be added to this list so check back often and find
one that fits your schedule.

We always need additional amateur radio equipped spotters to help us at
WARN.  Many people have been meaning to get their amateur radio license, but
just haven't gotten a round tuit.  Well, to help those folks out, I have
attached an official WARN round tuit (if the list server permits it).  Now
that you gotten a round tuit, it's also a great time to get your amateur
radio license (or upgrade the one you have for that matter).

A couple of local clubs are offering one-day entry-level license and two day
upgrade classes.  The OH-KY-IN Amateur Radio Society and the Queen City
Emergency Net are teaming up to teach the classes, which have proven very
successful.

Here are the details:  First, the spring classes will be on March 21st &
22nd.  On Saturday the 21st they will again offer the One Day Technician
class.  This will be the third time offering this class and they have always
had great attendance and results.  An exciting addition this spring will be
a weekend Technician to General upgrade class.  This class will be held on
Saturday and Sunday.  This will be a great way for techs who want to
upgrade, but cannot sit for the traditional 6 week course, to complete the
class.  Both classes will be held at the Salem Church location in Western
Hills.

WARN is happy to recommend these programs for prospective or upgrading hams.
The following weekend there will be a license test on Saturday March 28th at
noon at the church.

For more information regarding the amateur radio classes, please call
513-382-3979, or send email to classes at ohkyin.org For more information
regarding the amateur radio exam, please call 859-635-3095, or send email to
exam at ohkyin.org.

Don't forget, Morse code is no longer required for any amateur radio
license!!

Mike Nie - W8VMX
Public Information Officer
Weather Amateur Radio Network (WARN)