[warn-news] FW: Weather Class

Mike Nie mnie at warn.org
Sun Apr 19 08:04:58 EDT 2009

We have information on a weather class offering in northern KY.  This is NOT
a spotter training course.
-------

The class is Disaster Weather Communications on 5/16/2009.  Here is the
Class description.  We have been working on the course for a few years and
have a few Weather Service offices out west promoting this class.  It is
designed for First Responders    The cost of the school is $35.00 and
includes lunch and certificates.  We will also ask for feedback on the class
so we can tweak it for final acceptance of the National Fire Academy.

Online Registration is available at http://nkyess.org/Classinfo2009.htm

Instructor  Josh Jans

Morning Seminar  The first part of the course will focus upon the high
impact weather events ranging from crippling ice storms to devastating
tornadoes that have the potential for causing disasters in Kentucky. The
course will be targeted towards responders - firefighters, dispatchers, and
search and rescue personnel. The course will demystify the "science" of
weather vocabulary and present the participant with simplified processes be
which hazardous weather events come about. This will allow the participants
to build an understanding of the development of events and enable the
prediction of possible outcomes and risk analysis development

Afternoon Seminar  The second part of the course offers participants a more
in-depth look at weather processes and introduces a higher level of
understanding of the sequential development of weather phenomena seen in
Kentucky. Participants will understand meteorological coding and language
related to warning, watches, forecasts and other hazard information offered
by NOAA National Weather Service. An overview of online and offline data
sources will be performed and how to evaluate daily products. Participants
will better distinguish days of nuisance weather episodes versus days of
deadly weather episodes. Forecasting and now casting timeline will be
identified in the utilization of difference in-field mobile and stationary
technologies. The objective is to enable participants to make informed
decisions before, during and after a disaster weather incident.

John Griswold
Campbell County Emergency Management Office
859-547-3152