[warn-news] Ham Radio Class

Mike Nie mnie at cinci.rr.com
Fri Mar 14 14:50:43 EDT 2008

We speak to a lot of people interested in becoming part of the Weather
Amateur Radio Network (WARN) operation, reporting severe weather directly to
the National Weather Service using Amateur (HAM) Radio.  There is usually
increased interest at this time of year as severe weather season approaches
and people attend spotter training classes.

One of the questions we always hear is "How do I get my license to use ham
radio?".  We always explain that there are books, study software, and
classes.  Most classes take a number of weeks to complete.  Well, we've got
some exciting news for anyone interested in getting their license.  Three
local HAM radio organizations, including WARN have banded together to offer
a special "fast-track" class that will prepare students for their license in
ONE DAY.

The official announcement for the class follows.  If you've been on the
fence, now's the time!!!  We need more eyes and ears.

Mike Nie - W8VMX
Public Information Officer
Weather Amateur Radio Network
mnie at warn.org

-------------------------------
AMATEUR RADIO CLUBS OFFER 1 DAY CLASS

Have you thought about becoming an amateur radio operator but just have not
had the time? Did you know that Morse code is no longer required for any
amateur radio license?

Registration is now open for a 1 day ham radio license class in the
Cincinnati, Ohio area scheduled for Saturday, April 19, 2008. This course
will prepare you for the Technician Class, entry level, amateur radio
license examination. This 1 day class will be held at the Salem Presbyterian
Church located at 3132 Mozart Avenue, on Cincinnati's west side. Amateur
radio license examinations will be given the following Saturday, April 26,
12 noon, at the same location.

Classroom instruction with plenty of opportunity for questions will cover
all of the main topics needed to pass the Technician exam. Demonstrations,
hands on experiences and interaction with local hams will help participants
better understand what amateur radio is all about.

This 1 day amateur radio course is being given by the OH-KY-IN Amateur Radio
Society in cooperation with the Queen City Emergency Net and the Weather
Amateur Radio Network.

For more information call 513-471-8866. Email inquiries to
classes at ohkyin.org. Registration deadline is April 11.