[warn-news] Ongoing Severe Weather

Mike Nie mnie at warn.org
Wed Jun 4 13:08:40 EDT 2008

It's beginning to feel a little like the movie Groundhog Day.  The same
thing just keeps happening over and over, at least for the past 24 hours or
so.

First of all THANK YOU to everyone who has participated in the Cincinnati
section area amateur radio weather nets from Ripley County to Warren County
and from Butler County to Grant County and everything in between!  It sure
has been a marathon.  I do not have the exact times, but so far this event
has resulted in some of the longest net time I can recall.  Steve Lewis,
N8TFD probably has the exact times, but we can't total the time up just yet.
Believe it or not, we may not be done yet.  Reading the latest information
from the NWS, they may need to issue yet another watch in our area later
today.  Conditions still remain favorable for severe weather.  While nest
are not currently active, they may need to be reactivated later.

I know it's been a marathon and we appreciate all of the reports.  We do
have a reminder and request.  The reminder is that: The SKYWARN amateur
radio severe weather nets operate under the direction of our served agency,
the National Weather Service, for the specific purpose of relaying severe
weather information to them as quickly and efficiently as possible so that
they may generate accurate warnings that protect lives and property to the
greatest degree possible.  To that end, here is the request:  We know that
many local areas operate nets during severe weather that may relay
information to other agencies like Emergency Management Agencies EMAs.  We
have no problem with that.  However, we do ask that since the SKYWARN net
system serves the National Weather Service, that all reports be first
relayed to the official net serving your area in the quickest manner
possible.  If you are within range, please give your report directly to the
official SKYWARN net that serves your area.  This is more efficient than
relaying through another net and gets to the NWS faster, and allows us to
ask questions if necessary.  The NWS is the only agency that can issue
warnings to the public and the information is time critical.  If you cannot
make the SKYWARN net directly, relaying through another net, or another ham,
is OK, but direct is preferred whenever possible.

In the Cincinnati area, this net is on 146.88 MHz.  For the 17 counties this
net covers, see our web site at http://www.warn.org.  There is a link in the
menu called Net Coverage Area.  We normally also monitor 147.375 to assist
in some of our Kentucky counties that are not within range of 146.88.
However, the 147.375 repeater seems to have been damaged in one of the
storms yesterday, so we will monitor 145.19 until it is repaired.

We are not asking you to avoid working with other agencies.  Far from it.
We ENCOURAGE all hams to work with all agencies who need our assistance.
However NWS is the ONLY agency equipped to broadcast severe weather
information to the public via all available methods, broadcast media, NOAA
All Hazards Radio, Emergency Alert System, Internet, etc.  That's why it is
imperative that we relay the information to them as quickly and directly as
possible.

One final point: Don't EVER put yourself in danger to observe severe
weather.  NWS does not want that and we do not want that either.  Your
safety comes first!

Thanks again for all of your help so far.  We're hoping for a break soon!
Keep watching the sky.

Mike Nie - W8VMX
Public Information Officer
Weather Amateur Radio Network