Nuisance Storms

Michael Nie mnie at fuse.net
Sat Jun 12 19:06:35 EDT 1999

This is directed at ham radio equipped spotters within the 19 county WARN
area surrounding Cincinnati.

As you know, we have been plagued by pop-up nuisance type storms over the
past few days, and may see them for the next couple.  Some of these storms
have even caused the issuance of severe storm warnings.  We have been
activated a few times, when the NWS felt it necessary.

Friday evening, a typical spring-time thunderstorm moved through Hamilton
County with brief gusty winds and a brief downpour.  Several hams came up
on
the weather net frequency, even though no net was called by the NWS for
this
particular storm.  It really didn't amount to much.  However, several hams
conduct on the air would lead one to believe the situation was quite
severe.
One station even declared that he had heard by scanner of a funnel cloud
over downtown Cincinnati.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!  Remember, this is Cincinnati.  We can and will
see
thunderstorms.  Not all of them will be severe.  There will be no net
unless
the NWS requests one.  The NWS will not activate the net in all cases,
even
if warnings are issued.  If they can tell on radar that a storm is severe,
and issue a warning, a net may not be called.  After a warning is issued,
much of our job is over anyway.  In either case, net or no, remember that
many people listen to our net frequency, whether they are hams or not.
Please DO NOT spread unconfirmed gossip or reports.  This can serve only
incite panic unnecessarily.

Friday's incident was only exacerbated by activation of the sirens in
Hamilton County, while no warning existed.

The bottom line is that we are here to help the NWS provide accurate
warnings to the public, when they request our help.  If we stick calmly to
the facts and adhere to the spotting criteria they give us, we will be
much
more effective.  These guidelines are developed jointly by the NWS and
WARN.

We're always willing to discuss the spotting operation.  Feel free to
contact any of the WARN officers.  Some of our eMail addresses are listed
on
the WARN web site.  Or you can contact me at mnie at fuse.net.

----
NOTE

If you experience technical problems with this mailing list or
the W.A.R.N. web site, please send e-mail to brad at n8qq.com
along with a description of the problem.

You may unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time by
sending a message to announce-request at warn.org and typing
the word "unsubscribe" in the Subject field.

You may also retrieve a help file for this mailing list at any
time by sending a message to announce-request at warn.org
and typing the word "help" in the Subject field.