Annual Training Recap

Michael Nie mnie at fuse.net
Thu Apr 1 22:55:39 EST 1999

Sorry this is late, but I've been building a new computer, and moving
software and email programs around.  Anyone that's been through that knows
how harrowing that can be.

Anyway, our annual training session was held Friday, March 26, 1999.  I
don't have the final figures, but somewhere around 100 people attended and
were certified or recertified as severe weather spotters.  Many were ham
radio operators.  Some were not.

I think everyone in attendance had a good time.  The format was similar to
past years.  For WARN's part, we updated everyone on how we interact with
the National Weather Service to provide timely observations NWS uses, in
part, to issue warnings.

Mary Jo parker, Warning Coordination Meteorologist form the NWS, then
conducted the meteorology portion and gave an update on progress at their
office.

To close the evening, WARN Vice President Rob Reider again treated the
crowd
to a song specially composed for the event.  With apologies to Jim
Morrison,
Rob launched into "Spotters of the Storm".  It seemed well received just
like last year's Garth Brooks parody.  Good job, Rob!

Pictures, and possibly audio and video of the session will be on the WARN
web site (http://www.warn.org) soon.  If you were there, you may see
yourself on our web site.

Within the next few days, I hope to send out a reminder of the severe
weather reporting criteria as dictated by the NWS.  We ask that everyone
adhere to these guidelines when calling in reports.  It helps keep our
frequencies clear for critical reports.

Keep sharp!!  Many weather "experts" have pointed out that we are in a "La
Nina" weather pattern this year, which historically tend to be "wild".

Mike Nie
Public Information Officer
Weather Amateur Radio Net

----
NOTE

If you experience technical problems with this mailing list or
the W.A.R.N. web site, please send e-mail to brad at n8qq.com
along with a description of the problem.

You may unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time by
sending a message to announce-request at warn.org and typing
the word "unsubscribe" in the Subject field.

You may also retrieve a help file for this mailing list at any
time by sending a message to announce-request at warn.org
and typing the word "help" in the Subject field.