WARN newsletter

Michael Nie mnie at fuse.net
Mon Mar 9 14:49:28 EST 1998

Greetings from WARN central!

Well, we are rapidly approaching severe weather season.  Our preparations
are under way for the upcoming spring.
Sharpen your Skills!

For all the Amateur Radio equipped spotters, which I suspect is most of
the
readership of this list, we encourage you to attend a National Weather
Service provided training session to keep your skills up.  For those of
you
in the Cincinnati area, basically the 19 counties surrounding Cincinnati,
WARN will be sponsoring just such a course on March 27, 1998 at the Red
Cross in Blue Ash.  For more information, see our web page at
http://www.warn.org.  It has a map, directions, talk-in frequencies and
more.  Or, just direct any questions about the training to me at
mailto:mnie at fuse.net.  If you can't make this session, additional training

opportunities are listed on the Wilmington NWS page.  A link is provided
from our training page.  For those not in the Cincinnati area, contact
your
local National Weather Service office, or your local Emergency Management
Agency (Civil Defense) office.

1998's first net

Our first official net occurred last night due to approaching severe
weather.  As it turned out, the net was cancelled early because the
storms
lost a lot of intensity before they entered our area of responsibility.
 Thanks to all who participated.  Another message will be sent out to the
list shortly explaining how the net is activated, and how it functions.
What's up at WARN?

We are busy tuning up the equipment and our procedures for nets.  At the
recent Great Lakes Convention in Cincinnati, we were able to obtain a new
Yaesu FT-2500 VHF radio for use as our primary net radio.  This was made
possible by the numerous membership renewals and the sale of an older
packet radio that was no longer needed.  The Yaesu is installed and
operational.  This replaces an older Kenwood secondary radio that was
being
eaten up by intermod in the high RF environment.  The existing primary
radio was moved to secondary service.  I have been informed that during
the
net on 3/8/98, there was not a peep of intermod on or crosstalk between
our
radios.  Looks like we were successful!

The N8NWS APRS packet station/WIDE digipeater has been moved to the new
144.39 MHz frequency as have most other APRS operations in the Cincinnati
and Dayton areas.  The goal of many APRSers was to have the new 144.39
network fully functional before Dayton Hamvention time.

WARN is still looking for a desktop public safety type radio equipment
console.  If you know of one of these laying around, please let us know.
 We are also looking for a small functional cable ready television.  When
we find one of these, we will have access to a direct Doppler radar link
from WKRC-TV channel 12.  This would be very valuable to our net
operations.  And, yes, we accept tax deductible corporate or individual
donations.

Tornado Safety Awareness Weeks Announced

The Kentucky net will be held on Tuesday, 3/10 at (exactly!) 10:17 am.
Check-in's will be taken (callsign and county will be all that is
needed) from anywhere in the WARN area on 146.88-, but we will be looking
mostly for stations in Kentucky.  We will try to monitor 147.255+.

The Indiana net will be held on Wednesday, 3/11 at about 1:30 pm.
Check-in's will be taken (callsign and county, again) from anywhere in the

WARN area, but we will be looking mostly for stations in Indiana.  For
stations west of the coverage of 146.88-, please go to 146.805- to check
in.

The Ohio net will be held on Wednesday, 3/25 at (exactly!) 9:50 am.
Check-in's will be taken (callsign and county...) from anywhere in the
WARN
area on 146.88-, but we will be looking mostly for stations in Ohio.  We
will try to monitor 146.655-.

That's all for now.  As always, we welcome comments and suggestions.
 Please direct any correspondence to one of the following:

mailto:mnie at fuse.net		Mike Nie	WARN Public Information
Officer
mailto:wb8mcx at juno.com	Dick Leffler	WARN President

----
NOTE

If you experience technical problems with this mailing list or
the W.A.R.N. web site, please send e-mail to brad at n8qq.com
along with a description of the problem.

You may unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time by
sending a message to announce-request at warn.org and typing
the word "unsubscribe" in the Subject field.

You may also retrieve a help file for this mailing list at any
time by sending a message to announce-request at warn.org
and typing the word "help" in the Subject field.